Pages

Tuesday 6 August 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies




I've never really been that much of a cookie fan *gasps and disbeliefs from the rest of human kind*. That's because majority of the cookies I've had are waaaaaay too sweet. If you know me you'll know that even though I bake a lot of sweet food and desserts, I like my food on the less sweet side - dark chocolate instead of milk, cut out half the sugar, add a dash of salt, squeeze of lemon. A lot of cookies tend to taste of one note: sweetness.  Even if they're chocolate or cinnamon or marshmallow or whatever, that bland white sugar sweetness always predominates. 

I'm not sure if it's my tastebuds, but even cookies from certain well known cookie stores *cough* don't entice me. Come on people, you can't just rely on sugar and butter to flavour your cookie. There has to be that extra zing or zang or bang that creates fireworks in your mouth when you bite down on it. Yes I know I know extra sugar for chewiness blah blah. I'm sure there's a healthier way around it though.  One that does not entail diabetes and heart attack in its prescription. I shall find it one day.



This is actually the first time I made chocolate chip cookies.  I followed most of the recipe just to see how it tastes like. My sister the biscuit/cookie queen gave it her stamp of approval (which says a lot, you know, her being the cookie queen. Like no joke, we went to the doctors for a check up once, and even the doctor gave her a diagnosis of 'ate too much biscuits'). So, trusting her tastebuds which have seen many a cookie, this recipe will be included in my baking/blogging repertoire.  Not to mention, the original recipe boasts the reputation of being the best ever chocolate chip cookie by infamous Alice Currah.



[Chocolate chip cookies]

100g butter

3/4 cup raw sugar, finely ground
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 170C. 

2. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs and vanilla and continue beating until well incorporated.
4. Sift together baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Add this to the cookie batter and mix on low speed until well incorporated.
5. Add the chocolate chips and mix until chocolate is evenly distributed. 
6. Spoon tablespoonfuls of dough onto lined baking tray. 
7. Bake for approximately 12 minutes until golden brown. 
8. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
9. Serve. 

Recipe adapted from savorysweetlife.com





No comments:

Post a Comment