Pages

Monday 17 August 2015

{Small Steps Everyday}: Milestone 17.08.15

So last week I was definitely feeling the aftermath of the previous week's crazy storm. Every morning I woke up feeling like my eyes were swollen, like they still wanted to be sealed shut. But I made some progress!
Hailstorm in Auckland. An appropriate end to a stormy stormy week. 
Learning to say no
Work asked if I could help out an extra day last week as they were short on staff at the airport. I'd be working at the airport from 7am to 3pm, which meant waking up at 5.30 am and realistically, getting home at 5pm. I didn't feel like saying yes last week, but I felt really bad so I did. However on Monday I was feeling like I would keel over any minute so I asked if I could leave early (small effort in "saying no"?). And thank god I did because they told me they forgot to tell me that they didn't need me anymore. Imagine if I hadn't asked..

Thesis
On the thesis front, I've made most of the amendments and sent it to my supervisor to be checked. I am praying that the changes I've made are fine. Funny how I was dreading looking through my thesis so much, but when I actually sat down and work on it, it wasn't that difficult after all (unless the supervisor isn't satisfied with the changes... then I'll stress out again). But I reckon I should take it easy. This is a project that's dominated by life for more than a year! It's finallyyyyy at it's final stages. The finishing line is in sight. I can't wait to cross it. But really, it's not a race. I should enjoy the last moments, wave around at all those that have supported me, take my time to complete it to a standard that I'm happy with. After it's done, this will be the version that I'll look back to in twenty years and feel proud about. This is the version that will sit in my supervisor's bookshelf. This is the version that will join one of the other theses in the University of Auckland library.

GCNZIA
I was really behind on my studies last week. I'm no superwoman. I can't work on multiple things at once and be up to date with everything! But I spent Sunday catching up - as much as my urge to read my novel vibrated through my every pore, I managed to finish all assignments. But this week... looks like there are four new assignments to be completed.

Fitness
As I didn't work on Tuesday, I went for a jog/power walk despite it being freeeeezing cold. My head and ears pounded so hard and felt so uncomfortable but I'm glad I overcame my will to just stay home. All was well after a long hot shower.
Then on Thursday, I had double work out sessions! Went for an hour long power walk/run during the day, and then on a whim my sister and I decided to join a Zumba class after dinner. It was so much fun. The atmosphere was so pumped, the instructor was so hyped. It's a small group and everyone seems really friendly. I think Zumba classes are going on our schedule from now on.
It seems weird, but I'm actually looking forward to my Tuesday and Thursday runs now. What they say is true - running is addictive. Perhaps I should slot another session in on Saturdays.


Leisure
I can't remember the last time I baked for leisure. The baking that I've done in the last few months were either for an order or someone's birthday. But since last week I've been craving some soft, pillowy  bread. Last Wednesday, while at work I couldn't stand it anymore, so I went to buy some buns. But the taste was disappointing - after all, I've been spoilt by the luxury of homemade bread for years! So on Thursday morning I decided that no matter how busy I was, I was going to spend half an hour to make some bread. There's such a sense of calm watching the dough happily resting, then the exciting anticipation of seeing it transforming from an ugly little duckling to a beautiful swan in a few hours.




Weekend leisure
Too many months have gone by without me taking a break on weekends. If it wasn't helping out at the Chinese doctor's, it was assignments. I made a conscious decision to make sometime for myself to relax and rewind. After living like a mad workaholic I now understand the importance of breaks. So last Saturday, I went market hopping with the bf. We went to the Britomart market to get some free range eggs, then visited the Takapuna and Hobsonville markets. In all honesty, the size of markets themselves were a bit disappointing. You could count the number of stalls there were with both hands. It didn't help that the weather was shite and there was no big buzz around. But there were a few stalls that sold some quality products. I bought two beautiful postcards just because. And got treated to some luxurious chocolate from Sweet Cuisine. Hopefully the markets pick up when the weather improves! I'll share some photos in the next post.

Now lastly, I'm sharing this beautiful time lapse documenting the breathtaking city that Auckland is. So much dedication and hard work went into this little video. Hats off to the photographer, Siyamalan.

No comments:

Post a Comment