Pages

Saturday 8 August 2015

{Small Steps Everyday}: Milestone

Any progress is progress.

Masters thesis
I found out that I won't be able to graduate this semester if I don't hand my final amended, printed and bound copy in by August 17, which is in... like ten days! That's verging on impossible with me juggling work and studies, and recently, family stuff. I was angry at first. When I handed in my thesis in March, uni said I'll get it back in May but instead it arrived at the end of July. IF they had handed it back to me earlier, I would've been able to finish it up and graduate! Inefficiency... sigh.
But I thought about it later on. It really doesn't matter when I graduate. Perhaps it's better graduating next year, when things at home have settled down. I'll just have to try my best but if it can't happen, no use sulking about it. This way, I can spend time looking through my thesis properly and not have to rush it. Work carefully and produce a perfect final copy!

GCNZIA
I had my third test today. Was worrying so much about whether or not I can make it. All these unexpected things happening and taking up my time, I barely had time to sleep, let alone study. I even woke up at 5am for some cramming. But pssshht, I didn't have to worry! The test was pretty straightforward. This shows that spending time doing homework during the week really does pay off. Lucky I didn't leave everything to the last minute!
Lesson learned: Time is precious. Work hard when you have time because you never know what will pop up unexpectedly.

Fitness
Does exercising my will to not fall asleep count? Ha...ha...
Ok ok I did go for a one-hour long power walk/jog down to the beach in my new shoes which I love love love! Admittedly I did try running, but breathing in the cold air makes me puff even more so I settled to a power walk instead. Small steps everyday. Don't push myself too hard and end up pulling my knee or something. But definitely should increase the amount of time I go for walks/jogs(wogs?).

Sleep
As alluded to previously, sleep this week has not been good, particularly in the last two days. Definitely can feel the strain though. This makes it all the more important to sleep well normally, so when emergencies happen, I'll still have good health to fall back on. Look after that liver, woman!

Leisure
Not exactly leisure, but it's a change in mindset. While I went for my walk/jog the other day I took the time to stop and admire the beauty around. Winter has such beautiful flowers! Like this one. I'm not sure what it's called but i find it so cute that it looks like it's wearing a fur coat. Although of course it's trying to get out of its fur coat. I feel like i should say something about don't judge a book by it's cover, you don't know what treasures are hidden inside, or unleash that inner beauty, or something along the lines of 'just when a caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly' but seriously my brain is suffering the consequences of sleeplessness. So there, I said all those things, rather un-poetically.


15. Appearance
I finally went for my haircut. I've been deliberating for the past two months whether or not to cut it and finally under the encouragement of my sister, I got it all chopped off! Well, not really all, but close. 
This was the first time I had my hair cut this short and I'm so happy with the results. The hairdresser at Hi Andy on High St really did an amazing job! Highly recommend going there for a cut/style/makeover. The prices are pretty reasonable too. 


I know a lot of people who are really scared of haircuts. But I find that if you feel doing something risky, haircut is a good choice because you won't die from it, even if you may feel like it - but just wear a hat, and after all your hair will grow back. 
Having my hair cut short, I feel so much more liberated - not just because I don't have to spend that much time and energy being frustrated by it. It's literally a weight off your shoulders. So if you've been feeling down lately, go for a haircut. You'll feel so much more refreshed, as I always do. 

Compassion
This past weekend I have been touched by the kindness of friends and strangers, who extended their hands at my family's time of need. I feel so grateful and so blessed. And I feel that I should extend this kindness and pay it forward. I'm adding another thing to my list, and that is compassion. Make conscious effort of being compassionate in everything I do, no matter how trivial. The tiniest gestures really do make a world of difference. 

Now, off i go to bed. I shall leave you to admire these beautiful camellias that really brightened up the winter scene.  



No comments:

Post a Comment